The beginning of the Holy Temple Evangelistic Church of God in Christ was in the home of the original organizer, Father Arthur Chester McClellan and Mother Alberta McClellan. The original name McClellan Temple Church of God in Christ began in the 1930’s and many souls were added to this ministry. In 1959 the church purchased a new building at 415 w. 63rd street, having several pastors appointed after the demise of Father McClellan. In 1979 the congregation moved to 7656 S. Vincennes Avenue. What once was a thriving church organized by the late Pastor (dad) A.C. McClellan met its demise in the late fall of 1979, becoming abandoned and run down with a scattered flock leaving two heart-broken mothers awaiting the end. Bishop Ford remembered a young man who had recently joined with him from Pittsburgh, PA in the winter of 1979 proudly appoint our pastor, Rev. Douglas D. Moye, Sr. to the incredible awesome task of rebuilding with the remaining two senior citizens, the late Mother Henrietta Colar, then age 82, and the late Mother Mamie Haynes, then age 74. In January 1982, Pastor Moye along with his wife, Mothers Colar and Haynes began the new work. It was a rough road to travel, starting a work in the coldest month of the history of Chicago, and the weight of the burden drove Pastor Moye to his knees in prayer. There God gave birth to a daily noon day prayer. Pastor Moye never missed a service and sometimes preached to empty chairs, but he kept the doors opened.
His motto is “To God Be The Glory” and he always ministers to the glory of God. What appeared to be a year of hopelessness, God turned into history and victory. The powerful ministry became known for ‘Prayer and the Word of the Lord’. Pastor Moye invested thousands of dollars of personal funds, denying himself of many offerings and anniversaries to restore the church to worship condition. In 1985, Pastor Moye leading a ‘faithful few’ completed the mortgage responsibility and the church building was paid in full. In 1987, Pastor Moye a man of vision, now saw the need to expand the church for additional seating to a capacity of 500 as well as complete renovation, after four months the vision came to realization – a total new edifice for Holy Temple Evangelistic Church Of God In Christ. After servicing, the Englewood community for 29 years, the Lord opened the way for the church to relocate in November 2011. After much prayer, diligence, steadfastness, hard work and finances on the part of the pastor and the congregation, the new facility is located at 15912 Lincoln Avenue in Harvey, IL with the new name of Holy Temple Cathedral Church Of God In Christ.